Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Est. 1897

Did you know there has been a butcher's shop here since 1897?

Very recently I had a lady come in with this photograph and it transpires she is the daughter of the 'Hubb family'. This shop was AE Hubb for a very long time and I consider myself incredibly lucky to have a shop that has a proper heritage and a lot of history within the walls. Very canny pic though!

There is some butchery in my family too. The other picture is from Alston, Cumbria which is where my mum's side of the family are from. This is my great, great, great, great-grandfather and his wife and this one is from the 1870's. Possibly even the first time they had seen a camera. None of William's sons decided to go into the trade, many of them became farmers instead. But it is an honour to have this picture in the front shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment